LBIS is hiring student reference interns for the 2014-2015 academic year.
The student reference intern will provide reference services while librarians are not on-duty. Working hours may be daytime, evening, night, and weekend. After a thorough training period, which will involve shadowing the reference librarians, the reference intern will be able to help library users locate materials in the stacks or on the library Web site and answer basic research questions.
The reference intern will refer more complicated and in-depth questions to the appropriate subject librarian. The student reference intern will work with all of the librarians in order to better understand the different approaches to research. The interns and the librarians will also meet regularly throughout the semester for on-going training and to keep in touch about new developments in the library.
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Provide basic reference assistance to library patrons, and refer more complicated and in-depth questions to reference librarians.
- Assist library users with using the online catalog, research databases, etc.
- Assist patrons with locating materials and services in the library. * Answer telephone and chat reference questions.
- Perform other tasks, such as special events and projects, as assigned.
- Continue to learn and to ask questions while employed as a reference assistant.
Interested applicants must be willing to arrive on campus a week early for training (tentatively scheduled to begin August 19) and be willing and able to work evenings and weekends.
If you're interested, please send a résumé and brief statement of interest (that lists at least one research-intensive course you’ve taken at Kenyon) to Julia Warga at glynnj [@] kenyon.edu. The position is posted on the Student Employment Job Board. We will schedule interviews in April.
Dates of hire: 8/23/14-5/8/15