Readings for a class can be placed on course reserves in either print or digital format. Print reserves are kept at the Circulation Desk on the second level of the Library. Students may use the materials one item at a time. Courses with print reserve items are listed in the CONSORT catalog. To access these listings, please visit the CONSORT catalog and click on the "Reserves" tab.
Digital reserves are handled by the Digital Resource Librarian; guidelines and more information can be found here.
- Print reserve materials circulate for a 2-hour time limit. Materials checked out within 2 hours of closing may be kept overnight but will be due one half hour after the Library opens the next day. Fines for print reserve materials are $1.00 an hour. There is no maximum fine.
- Digital reserves are password protected and can be only accessible to those enrolled in the course.
For information on how LBIS handles copyright in regard to reserves view Copyright Guidelines.
Items that need permission...
For photocopies placed on print course reserve, LBIS will seek permission from the rightsholder to use any item which falls outside the scope of Fair Use or the copying guidelines. For example, any item used for more than one semester by the same professor for the same course at Kenyon requires permission from the rightsholder to place the copy on reserve. Generally, copyright fees will be charged when permission is granted. Permission requests are for a semester at a time unless otherwise agreed upon by the rightsholder.
Types of Items for Reserves
- Personal copies of books.
- Consort copies of books (for a semester at a time).
- Photocopies that fall within copyright compliance.
- Kenyon library books.
- No Course Packs.
- Non-copyrighted material such as class syllabus, assignment listing, etc.
Kenyon Student Papers for Reserves
Kenyon student papers may be placed on print or digital reserve. The student's name and any personal information must be removed from the paper.
Print course reserves are located at the circulation desk, 2nd floor Olin/Chalmers library. Request forms can be picked up at the circulation desk or completed on-line:
Quick Form Links:
- Online Request Form for Print Course Reserve Request: BOOKS: Entire Books or Photocopies
- Printable PDFForms:
For other types of reserve forms (ERes/Multimedia, please see the Course Reserves: Forms page)
The materials may be sent through campus mail or dropped off at the circulation desk.
Request forms must be completed in their entirety to be processed. Allow up to 2 weeks to process the requests. Providing a copy of the course syllabus will assist in prioritizing items to process.
If requesting photocopies be placed on print reserve, faculty is responsible for providing the photocopy. For repeat use of photocopies, please see Course Reserve: Copyright Guidelines
- Joan Nielson
- Manager of Access Services
- Olin Library
- (740) 427-5990